StockTrac® ENTERPRISE and QuickBooks Integration Setup
The bridge between StockTrac® and QuickBooks sends three pieces of information: Sales (the types of services with the $ amount), Cost of Goods (the types of services with the $ amount), and Taxes. The following instructions will guide you through the setup of this integration.
Step 1: Turn on the QuickBooks Integration in StockTrac®
You will first need to contact Janco Technical Support to enable the QuickBooks integration in StockTrac® ENTERPRISE. Call 800-782-5872 (US) or 800-323-5872 (Canada) for assistance.
Step 2: Export the QuickBooks Chart of Accounts file
Once the integration is turned on, you need to export your QuickBooks chart of accounts. Note that you will have to repeat this step if new accounts are added in QuickBooks that you want to post to from StockTrac®.
To export the chart of accounts, open QuickBooks and choose File, Utilities, Export, Lists to IIF Files as shown below:
Click Chart of Accounts and choose OK. This screen will display:
You will now be asked to specify the name of the file and where you want it saved on your computer. In this example, we are saving the file to our StockTrac® directory: C:\stwin3. We are going to name the file chartofaccounts and save it as file type IIF. Make a note of where you put the file and what you named it. When you are finished, click Save. (If you need assistance with this, call Janco Support.)
Step 3: Print the Export Setup Worksheet in StockTrac® (Optional)
From the main StockTrac® main menu, go into the Sales module.
Click on the Accounting Export drop-down menu, and then Export Setup Worksheet. The report will be sent to the printer. You can use this report as reference when deciding how to map your QuickBooks Accounts to StockTrac®.
Step 4: Map Your QuickBooks Accounts to StockTrac®
While in the Sales module, click on the Accounting Export drop-down menu, and then select Export Setup. A screen similar to the following will display:
You will be on the “Input and Output Files” tab when you initially get into this function. Specify the following information:
- QuickBooks Chart of Accounts – specify the file that contains your exported chart of accounts (see Step 2).
- Output File Name – Select where you want the exported information to go (location on your computer and file name).
- Output Type – this should be IIF
- Email address – this is the email address you can optionally send the export to.
Once you have specified the information above, you are ready to define the account mappings. You will click on each of the sections on the far left of your screen (Sales – Defaults, Sales – Deposits/AR, Sales – Credit Card, Sales – Sales Tax, Sales – Net Sales and Sales – Cost of Sales) and link accounts from QuickBooks to StockTrac®.
For example, if you click on Sales – Deposits/AR, the following screen will display:
To define a mapping, highlight the StockTrac® category on the left, highlight the QuickBooks account on the right, and then select Assign.
Continue to click on the rest of the sections (Sales – Credit Card, Sales – Sales Tax, etc.) until all your accounts are mapped.
Here are some things to keep in mind when mapping your accounts:
- Map your Deposits to the account in QuickBooks that will keep track of Cash and Checks.
- You will want to create Income type accounts in QuickBooks for credit cards. Do not use the credit card accounts that come with QuickBooks, as those accounts are considered Expense type accounts.
- Create a Sales Tax account in QuickBooks. Do not use the Sales Tax Payable account already in QuickBooks, as you cannot update that account from an outside source.
- Before you export your data for the first time, make a backup of your QuickBooks data. This way you have a point to go back to if you do not get the desired results on your first run.
- If you find you need more accounts added into QuickBooks, you will need to perform Step 2 again to create a new export file so StockTrac® can see those new accounts.
When you are finished with all of the mappings, select Save.
Step 5: Export Your StockTrac® Data to QuickBooks
Once you have your mappings set the way you want, you are ready to export your StockTrac® data to QuickBooks.
To do this, go to the Sales module, then click the Accounting Export drop-down menu and then Export to File. The following screen will display:
Enter the following information:
Period Select Day, Week, Month, Year or Custom
Starting Date The starting date of the export
Ending Date The ending date of the export
Type Sales is the only type that can currently be exported to QuickBooks
Don’t Email Click this box if you do not want to email the export file
Email address The email address that you want the export sent to (can be blank)
Fill in the above information and click Export. The data will be exported to the file name you specified on the Input and Output Files tab in the Export Setup program. The data will also be emailed if you entered an email address and left the Don’t Email box unchecked.
Step 6: Print and/or View the Output File (Optional)
After you have exported your data, you can verify the balance between StockTrac® and QuickBooks by printing or viewing the output file. To do this, go to the Sales module and selecting Accounting Export and either Print Output File or View Output File. If the balance is not 0, check your account mappings to be sure everything is mapped to the proper accounts.